USDA Small Business Innovation Research Grant
In 2009, Green Heron Tools, LLC, was awarded a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) grant by the U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Title of our grant: “Need for & feasibility of designing, producing & marketing agricultural tools & equipment for women”
- 13 women’s agricultural networks, sustainable agriculture / small farms organizations and experts in women’s agriculture supported us. Supporters were from 10 different states, representing all regions of the U.S. – thank you!
This grant allowed us to further research what women want and need, through:
- Focus groups with women farmers in Vermont, Oregon, Iowa and Pennsylvania
- Interviews with women throughout the U.S.
- A continuation of our online survey
To date, we have obtained input from women in 32 states!
Grant deliverables include:
- Set of design parameters for tools/equipment designed for women
- Prototypes of three hand tools
- General design concepts for a rototiller
Timeframe of the grant: 6/09-1/10
For information on the members of our Phase I Design Team , click here
Click here to view or download a PowerPoint presentation with more detailed information about the need for tools & equipment for women; the connections among tools, equipment, safety & health; and our SBIR grant.
If Power Point is not installed on your computer, you can download and install this Microsoft Office Power Point Viewer.